Are you worried about the water damage a leaky tap can cause? Apart from the dripping sound, there is also the scenario of water wastage. Moreover, you can also expect a hike in the water bill. Knowing how to fix a leaking tap is crucial. You can use the DIY tips to make the necessary repairs. Moreover, keep in mind that if the problem persists, you must get in touch with the experts.
Top 10 DIY Tips in Fixing a Leaky Tap
There are multiple tips that you can keep in mind while fixing a leaking tap. Check out these tips to know how to fix a leaking tap.
- Turning off the water supply is a crucial step in fixing any leaky taps. For this, you must locate the isolation valve present underneath the sink. If you are unable to find this, you can simply turn the main supply off. Moreover, if you leave it on, you risk having a flood as an extra annoyance.
- Get the right replacement parts. After you diagnose the problem, you will need to identify which parts need replacement. Furthermore, it is vital that you purchase the correct model and size.
- Make sure that you drain the pipes. The chance of lingering water making a mess on the bathroom floor is quite high. For that, you must drain the pipelines. Moreover, you can run the lowest cold and hot water outlets.
- Collect the tools and materials required. Undertaking a plumbing DIY project means that you will need to have a wide range of equipment pieces that can help you with the job. Make sure that the tools are high-quality so that they can work smoothly.
- The first step in fixing the leaky tap involves removing the handle. After that, you must unfasten the headgear nut. It is to detach the tap body from the other fittings. You can place the cloth over the nut to offer protection against scratches. It is a vital tip in – how to fix a leaking.
- Keep in mind that the spout must be secured when you are taking apart the headgear. It is vital that the whole tap doesn’t turn around as it can cause damage to the pipelines. Moreover, do not use too much force lest you break it accidentally.
- Now, you must take out the old washer. In some cases, using pliers will do the trick. But, in some other models, you might have to unscrew the small nut. Here, you must check out the condition of the washer. If it is damaged, you need to replace it. Otherwise, you can take a look at the condition of the valve seat.
- After this, you must put in the new washer. If you have trouble fitting it, you can use a little bit of petroleum jelly. Moreover, you can also use a spanner or pliers to push the washer down and fit it properly. It is an essential tip in – how to fix a leaking tap.
- The next step involves replacing the headgear of the tap. Make sure that the tap is secure when you tighten the nut.
- Lastly, it is crucial that you check out the state regulations regarding plumbing before undertaking any work. In most areas in Australia, it is illegal to perform plumbing fixes without a license. It is to prevent water contamination in the man water supply.
Having a Leaking Tap? Attain Expert Assistance Now!
There are various reasons that can lead to leakage in the tap. That is precisely why knowing how to fix a leaking tap is vital. You can follow the tips listed above to resolve the issue. But, if the problem remains, you must call our leaking tap repair plumbers immediately.
Plumber Kogarah provides different types of plumbing services. We have a team of plumbers, technicians, and gas fitters who have the skill and technical training needed to deal with various crises. Moreover, we use professional-grade tools and charge affordable price rates. Furthermore, we do not take any shortcuts and are open at all hours. Just give us a call, and we will be right there!